The UP Library and Information Science Students’ Association (UPLISSA) was established in 1962 as the sole student organization of the University of the Philippines Institute of Library Science and its de facto Student Council.
UPLISSA can trace its roots back to the UP Library Club, formally founded in 1922. It was one of the oldest academic organizations in the University of the Philippines (UP). Among its members were Armando Malay, renowned writer and student leader and Gabriel Bernardo, the Doyen of Philippine Librarianship. After the Second World War, the UP Library Science Club was established and was composed of students and alumni. A separate alumni organization was later set-up in 1950 as the UP Library Science Alumni Association (UP LSAA). UPLISSA itself was established a year after the Library Science department of the College of Liberal Arts became an independent unit in 1961 as the Library Science Club. It assumed the dual role as the Institute’s student council and sole student organization in 1972. In response to the fast-changing scope of librarianship, the organization changed its name to its current form in 1983. In 2002, it was reorganized as an academic organization, based in the UP School of Library and Information Studies (then the Institute of Library and Information Science) separate from the Student Council with the objectives of fostering camaraderie and unity among members, promoting scholastic and socio-cultural development of its members and providing opportunities for members to lead and serve the institute, university and nation. Since its early years, UPLISSA has produced among the country’s best librarians and information managers and specialists.